It’s time! Time to choose the winners for the Red Stripe / Red Dot Tiramisu Fabric Giveaway! You all are such a sensibly stylish group, I couldn’t help but put together the top ten summer styling tips you shared in the comments!
I have a hard time handling the summers here in Queensland, so I’m always looking out for ways to make the 8-month summer more enjoyable. These are the top tips, and a few of my favorite suggestions:
- Flowing, Natural Fibers- no surprise, this was the number 1 tip! I couldn’t agree more. Natural fibers like linen, hemp, ramie, cotton, rayon, wool and silk “breathe” more effectively than synthetic fibers, and in the summer I love the way a long billowing pair of trousers swirls around me, creating my own personal hurricane. It’s the best.
- Chic sun hats- I think sun hats are becoming more and more “chic,” and I think that’s rad. I own several, and have plans for a black and white “Panama” style cloche sunhat for later… Several of you also mentioned parasols- I love that, too! (The other day I saw a very pale skinned hipster boy walking down the street with an enormous golf umbrella!)
- Smart shoes/wedge heels/shoe bling/stylish comfort- Wedges win with y’all hands down for the perfect summertime blend of style and comfort, as well as flexibility for color choice- it’s so simple to find cute wedges in outlandish colors to lend a little “pop” of color to an outfit! A close second is “thong bling” or dazzling sandals!
- “Lashings of lipstick”- Just one vote, but in a very hot and very humid climate, I find that I can’t wear much makeup. The best I can do is take good care of my skin and yes, apply great beautiful “lashings” of lipstick and not much else. Preferably a bright blue red! It always helps me feel glamorous and put-together.
- Sunscreen- I wear it. My favorite is to wear toddler sunscreen, it seems to clog my pores less. We have a big pump bottle near the front door (to apply before going out) and I also carry a little roller-bottle of it in my purse!
- Dresses- Everyone loves a nice cool flippy dress for summer! I’m working on my summer Christmas dress, take a gander and like your favorite styles on my Pinboard. If the dress works out like it does in my head, I might release it as a Christmas-present pattern here on the blog!
- Bike Shorts- Many of you left very sensible comments about wearing bike shorts under dresses and skirts. Bike shorts improve modesty and mobility, as well as preventing uncomfortable summer chafing. Brilliant!
- No Black/Light Colors/Brights!- This is so true for bright, hot days. Summer is a great time to get out the bright colors that suit you and wear them to death!
- Put your hair up/garnish with a flower/bob that mane! These three tips mean one thing- long waving tresses in summer might look pretty, but they’re hot and often get in the way! Put that hair up or chop it off, and don’t forget a simple and pretty garnish like a fabric flower! (Or a real one)
- Strawberry Daquiri- I think this requires very little explanation! If it’s been a horrible hot day that fades into a sticky still night, I do love an icy “grown up” drink because by the time I finish, I’m feeling no pain.
Thanks so much for all your thoughtful tips!
Throughout The Circus, I dropped hints about additional giveaway prizes. I added 3m of red dot jersey to the 3m of red stripe already on offer, and I’m also sending out 3 twin needles and 2 packages of Steam a Seam strips! I love sending things out into the world! I chose more or less at random, though for the fabric giveaways I was careful to pick only from those who left a tip.
Steam a Seam (fusible webbing) winners:
Kerry at Kestrel Finds and Makes
IngeMaakt from IngeMaakt
Schmetz Twin Needle winners:
Gillian from Crafting a Rainbow
Jenny V at Jenny Sews
Red Dot Winner: Megan and the Machine lives further north than me (ooooh it’s hot up there!) and recommends sleeves and moderate skin coverage for summer rather than tank tops and shorts. I couldn’t agree more. She just made the cutest little dress with buttons and piping, and I’m pleased to be sending the red spotted jersey her way!
Red Stripe Winner: Sew Tiger Sew from San Francisco! She layers with twill cotton jackets in the summer- I love that, I wear hemp-silk sun cover jackets to protect my skin! I figured we were destined to be dress-twins.
If you won, please send me your house address so I can send your presents your way! If you didn’t win, I’m sorry! I wish I could send presents to everyone, you’re such a clever and inspiring group!
And again, thank you thank you for supporting the Tiramisu Pre-Sale! At the time I closed the pre-sale, you had snapped up 356 Tiramisu patterns! That’s so awesome! They’re going to print and we’ll be shipping in early November, I’ll be sure to keep you up to date!
What do you think? Any style tips or coping mechanisms to add? If you’re in the N. Hemisphere, what styles did you see everywhere this past summer? If you’re in Oz, tell me what colors you plan on wearing this summer?