Finally- The Sisters of Edwardia pattern for sizes 30-40 is available for download on Craftsy. Sizes 45-55 are currently in testing, and I’ll release them when I know they work. Whew! I’ve spent a lot of time with this one, and I think it’s the best pattern I’ve made yet. However, if you find any errata please let me know so I can correct it.
(In silk twill, the first version I made before shortening the sleeves slightly. Sew Weekly)
Sisters of Edwardia is inspired by the several blouses Lady Edith and Lady Sybil wear in the period drama Downton Abbey. The blouse features relaxed-fit elbow length kimono sleeves with an underarm gusset to allow free range of motion. The wide, shallow neckline is finished with exterior facings, which are either top stitched or hand-stitched in place. The blouse is gathered into the midriff section, which closes with an invisible zip. Exterior facings, sleeve bands, and waistband section are made from a contrast material.
(“Brisbane Does Downton” version- final cut. Made of lightweight finely woven cotton gingham and stretch poplin.)
The sizing is a little different, but I think it makes sense. Use your full bust measurement in inches to decide the blouse size. Go down a size for a closer fit, and go up a size for a more relaxed fit. (For example- I fall right between a 35 and a 40. Both sizes work for me, but I prefer the fit of the 35 and that is what you see in my photos.) The cut of the blouse is forgiving- the sleeves are ease-y and cut on the bias (which allows even more flexibility). The blousing front means it will work on those who are generally on the short or long-waisted side.
Choose the size of the waistband sections by your waist measurement in inches. The ease has been calibrated to be semi-fitted: close enough for waist definition, but loose enough for comfort.
The size 30 is cut with a slightly smaller neckline and less blousiness as ladies of that size are often more “petite.”
Make a muslin, have fun, and do email me photos of your finished blouse! I’d love to see what everyone else makes of this pattern. If you’re curious, click here to view the pdf of the pattern instructions.
After a series of unfortunate sewing events, I finished my circle skirt for the Sew Weekly challenge. Accessorized with black rubber boots, red pail, and the flock we’re duck-sitting. I’m utterly, completely determined to finish next week’s challenge in time for the deadline and it’s in the works right now.