A few weeks ago, I floated the idea of an online Consulting Dressmaker service. I wasn’t sure this would work in an online setting; it’s similar to what I do offline and I thought it was worth playing with the concept. Over the past few weeks, I’ve had several lovely interactions with other sewists (thanks for dropping by!). I could see that while the idea was great fun and useful, I needed a little more organization.
Last week, I set up an online scheduling system. You can reach my scheduling page any time by clicking the “Book An Appointment” button in the sidebar.
Pick “First Consultation.”
Once you select a service, you can book an appointment. Currently, my hours are 8am-1pm on Thursdays, Eastern Australian time. For most of the world, that’s Wednesday: 10pm-3am London (sorry, not ideal!), 5pm-10pm New York and 2pm-7pm in California. I double-check times via the world clock.
That’s all! The service sends me an email, and sends you a reminder 24 hours in advance. Easy! The next “time” is this week, and I’ll be available every Thursday during the times on my schedule. Feel free to poke your head in and say hello if you have sewing questions I can help you with, or even if you’re just curious.
The first appointment is free so you can get to know me a little, pick my brain, show me your sewing problems and fit issues and generally see what the experience is like. I use Skype for appointments (though I can also chat via facebook if you prefer- please specify when booking) because I find Skype is delightfully “face to face” and immediate.
I refined the consultation concept slightly:
- A “Short Answer” and A “Long Answer” Consultation are both 15 minutes and cost $10. The difference is that a “Short Answer” is something that can be answered in our 15 minute chat and a follow up email. This includes pattern/fabric marrying, construction questions, pattern alteration guidance, all kinds of troubleshooting, etc.
- A “Long Answer” is, well, a longer term project. I am happy to help out with bigger projects including wardrobe planning, turning artwork into suits, sewing time management, research projects related to sewing and whatever else comes up. We can discuss the work I will do for you, and the fee for my involvement.
I have a few guiding philosophies for the Consulting Dressmaker:
- No lies- I won’t lie to you. Ever. If I don’t know an answer, I will tell you so and find out. If I can’t find out, we can problem-solve. Failing all else, I give you your money back. I also won’t lie and tell you something looks great on you when it is actually unsuitable- but I’ll be gentle.
- No judgement- I’m interested in fitting and dressing bodies, not sizes. I am also happy to work with anyone, regardless of your style or taste in clothes. Good sewing is good sewing to me.
- Complete confidentiality- I will never share the contents of our consultation or any information regarding your measurements, etc. You may feel free to talk about the service yourself- it helps get the word out! However, I will never discuss your private information with another person or mention our consultation.
Thank you all so much for bearing with me while I figure out how to make all these things happen! I’m really pleased to be finally putting my ideas to actions and I’m super excited to see what will happen. I’m still working out the balance between “Consulting Dressmaker” type posts and my personal sewing posts… I’m aiming for more sewing type posts, but first I want to be sure the Consulting Dressmaker service is clearly defined. Questions?
Tomorrow I have a good old-fashioned “Design Inspiration” post ….