Birdmommy guessed correctly- tulip print fabric inspired me to make tulip sleeves. I don’t usually lavish much attention to details on Lila’s clothing, but it’s fun and only a little more effort than regular sleeves.
“Okay, I keep thinking about this riddle, and it’s distracting me from my thesis. (Actually, I’ll look for any excuse to distract me from the thesis, so it’s really not your fault :D)
I’m starting to think it’s not a specific technique so much as a method. I learned recently on a documentary on shoe making that ‘bespoke’ means custom made or made to an individuals measurements. Wikipedia tells me that the word is derived from the verb to bespeak, to “speak for something”, in the specialized meaning “to give order for it to be made”. They go on to talk about how bespoke in fashion is when a garment is made from scratch or from a block pattern to an individual’s specific measurements, and that some set the standards for bespoke as work that is entirely done by hand.
So my guess for the answer is that little Lila asked for spring flowers (tulips in particular?), and you filled that order in true bespoke manner by self-drafting a tulip-themed top, and possibly doing all the work by hand, hand-stitching possibly included. Maybe this is why the ‘prize’ for the winner is a seam-ripper?
I considered making up something that rhymes, but my brain is far to stretched out to do it. :)
Whether I’m right or not, this was a fun riddle to think about! Now I’m off to work on my own riddle, aka M.Sc. thesis.
Yours was much more entertaining.”
She’s right, except I didn’t hand-stitch. It is bespoke in the tradition of customization and whimsy. I wish I could sincerely apologize for distracting your from your thesis, Heather. It’s a shame we don’t use “bespeak” as a verb anymore.
I started with the regular sleeve from the Oliver + S Hopscotch Top. I’ve made it several times this summer, so thought I’d play with the design.
With the green marker, I squared off the underarm seam.
I drew a straight line from the center of the sleeve head to the hem. I drew a horizontal line about 1/3 of the way down the underarm seam, but that’s not a rocket science line placement. Anywhere on the underarm seam will do.
I drew a gently curving line from just below the front notch, through the intersection of my two lines, flattening out to join the back underarm seam.
I drew another curved line from just below the back notches to the front underarm seam.
Then I moved the polytrace along and matched up the underarm seam, which became seamless, and traced the other half of the sleeve.
Finished pattern piece, with hem allowance sketched in.
To insert the sleeve, first make the hem. Then wrap the sleeve, matching up the notches on the sleeve head. Baste. Then insert the sleeve as for a set-in sleeve.
The matched-up seams was some lucky accident. I also made a big inverted box pleat in the CF rather than gathering.
Finally, I finished the front of Moderne’s bodice. I want to knock out the bodice construction tomorrow, perhaps get the sleeves made this week.